From the book, Mastering the Challenges of Leading Change, comes this useful checklist from author H. James Dallas for how to identify and develop emerging talent in your company/organization.
Dallas recommends that each question should be graded on a scale of 1 to 3, with 3 being the best. Use the questions and the scoring for you and your employee to work together toward the highest ratings across the board.
- Has the person demonstrated a "getting lost with confidence" mind-set?
- Does the person communicate with authenticity?
- Has the person created a strong personal brand that is recognized by colleagues of all levels?
- Does the person know his or her blind spots and have people watching to prevent him or her from crashing?
- Is the person getting exposure to executive management?
- Does the person seek out and seriously consider advice?
- Is the person building an inclusive team and sponsoring others?
- Is the person proactive in finding opportunities to initiate and lead change?