The Courage Solution, a book by Mindy Mackenzie, is all about the simple truth that the only thing you can reliably change or control is yourself. So, that is why Mackenzie wrote her book -- to teach you how to take actions that ultimately will improve your impact on the job and increase your happiness and fulfillment in your career.
Mackenzie's quick-read strategies focus on these four key areas:
- Part 1: You First offers techniques to take ownership and accountability for creating a career and life you love.
- Part 2: Lead Your Boss describes proven techniques to transform your relationship with your boss.
- Part 3: Lead Your Peers provides methods for accelerating positive peer relationships to improve business results.
- Part 4: Lead Your Team gives approaches for generating and creating the most effective teams and having more fun while doing it.
A preview of Mackenzie's advice on Leading Your Boss includes:
- Intensely study your boss to get to know the human being behind the mask.
- Understand the company you work for, the business you are in, how the company makes money, who the end customer is, and how what you do every day fits into the strategy of the company.
- Get the boss-employee relationship basics right.
- Make a concerted effort to elevate your thinking to an enterprise-wide perspective.
- Get in tune with your boss by knowing exactly what they are wrestling with on a weekly basis.
- Provide, honest, positive praise and affirmation to your boss--to them directly, and to their superiors and others.
- Be smart preparing your boss for your pushback, challenges, and disagreements.
Mackenzie emphasizes that this advice is not about giving your boss a pass. Rather, by leading your boss in the manner outlined above, you will have the best chance of creating a positive engagement with your boss. And, when that happens, everything around you at work will also change for the better.