6 Steps For Discussing Poor Performance With An Employee
As a leader, the time will come when you will have to speak with an employee about his or her poor performance. Here are six steps that will guide you through that process:
- Tell him what performance is in need of change and be specific.
- Tell him how his actions negatively affect the team.
- Let the discussion sink in.
- Set expectations of performance improvement and timeframe, and get his agreement on the desired outcome.
- Remind him that he is a valuable part of the team and that you have confidence his performance will improve.
- Don't rehash the discussion later. You made your point. Give him to make his improvement.