The Secret Science Of Brilliant Leadership
Coherence: The Secret Science of Brilliant Leadership is the book by author Dr. Alan Watkins.
Trained as a medical doctor, Watkins is now an honorary senior lecturer in neuroscience and psychological medicine at Imperial College, London and an affiliate professor of leadership at the European School of Management, London.
- According to Watkins, coherence is the biological state achieved when elite performers experience maximum efficiency and super effectiveness, where body and mind are one.
Coherence provides one of the most unique approaches to showing leaders how to be younger, smarter, healthier and happier -- which gives them the power to make decisions under pressure and achieve sustainable success.
Prepare to spend quality time reading Coherence. It's not light reading. Kind of feels like a medical text book in parts. But, it's worth your commitment to it.
I particularly found useful Watkin's discussion on culture, where he wrote:
Culture is the collective attitudes within a group, team or organization, and they manifest in:
- Customs: traditional practices that may be honored, not necessarily repetitive.
- Rituals: stylized conceptual totems representing an aspect of culture.
- Symbols: stylized conceptual totems representing an aspect of culture.
- Dogmas, myths: unchallenged and unspoken beliefs within a system.
- Metaphors: stylized stories used to reflect culture.
- Stories: key bind narrative of culture.