A Look Back At The Best Leadership Book Of 2015
After reading nearly 30 new books about leadership this year, my pick for 2015's best new leadership book is, Advisory Leadership, by Greg Friedman,
Although the book is authored by an award-winning financial advisor and primarily written for professionals in the financial services industry, this book is a must read for any leader who wants to create a nurturing heart culture that hinges on the human-centric values the next generation of employees hold in high regard.
And, what exactly is heart culture? Friedman says, "At its core, heart culture symbolizes how a company values more than just an employee's output. It's not about the work, but rather, the people who do the work."
He further explains that leaders can no longer afford to ignore the shift toward a people-first culture and its direct influence on a healthy, effective work environment.
Friedman teaches that there are seven steps, based on human virtues we all strive to achieve, that are key to unlocking the power of a people-first culture:
- Patience. Slowing down the hiring process to help you better choose the right candidate for any role, every time.
- Honesty and Integrity. Leading by example and encouraging open and honest communication.
- Compassion. Acknowledging people for their individual contributions and getting to know them beyond their roles.
- Respect. Empowering employees to make decisions and guiding them in their personal goals for professional achievement.
- Persistence and Consistency. Aligning your management team with your company's goals and reiterating your values through various communication channels.
- Encouragement. Promoting and rewarding team collaboration instead of competition.
- Courage. Looking inward before taking those crucial first steps toward change.
Greg Friedman, Ms, CFP
You'll also learn from the book the most common culture killers, which are:
- Focusing too much on a hierarchical organization.
- Not guiding the troops.
- Holding on to toxic employees.
I selected Advisory Leadership as the best new leadership book for this year because it:
- Teaches leaders how to create a people-first culture (a must-have to achieve success in today's business world).
- Provides "real-world" and practical everyday steps you can take.
- Gives you specific techniques and tactics.
- Capsulizes "Tips to Remember" for you at the end of each chapter.
- Is incredibly easy to read and absorb.
Friedman is founder and president of Junxure, a practice improvement firm, and Private Ocean, a West Coast wealth management firm.