How To Be An Effective Mentor
Here are some great tips for how to be an effective mentor, from the new book, 50 Plus!, by Robert L. Dilenschneider.
- Don't be authoritarian.
- Have something to say, and keep it short. It's best to think in terms of headlines when you're mentoring somebody. Let them come to you for the details.
- Be informal.
- Do not give orders.
- Don't take slights personally.
- Tell stories.
- Always use humor.
- Be lavish with praise. Give people full credit for every contribution they make, however minor. It's the best way to keep the discussion alive.
- Despite repeated opportunities, never say, "I told you so."
- Set boundaries. No matter how generous your intentions or how great the need, there's only so much you can do.