“Organizations have spent the last decade chasing 'engagement' and 'psychological safety,' yet global productivity is stalling and 60% of employees report they do not feel valued in the places where they spend their days,” shares Miles.
- A leader who stops trying to be the hero and starts building trust with their team.
- An achiever who stops the hustle for worth and starts living from a place of enough.
- An individual who realizes their value isn't a luxury they earn, but a foundation they stand on.
That question was an arrow to the heart. It forced me to realize that I wasn’t just tired; I was unmattered. I had been valuing myself based on my utility and my output, essentially tracing a script authored by others while my own soul was in retreat. I realized that we have an epidemic of people who are 'successfully' disappearing. I spent the next decade interviewing over 100 world-leading experts to move past the metrics and find the architecture of true worth. I didn't just want to fix my schedule; I wanted to restore my life.
- Burnout is the sound of an empty tank; it’s being essential to the process but irrelevant as a person.
- Anxiety is the internal static created when you have to hustle for a worth that should have been yours by right.
- Loneliness becomes chronic when you believe being unseen is a permanent fact of life.
Question: There is so much to learn from your book. What are the best first steps a reader should take, beyond the One Small Steps recommended in the book, to incorporate the learnings into their lives?
Miles: I would start by resisting the temptation to change everything at once. The first step is to become more aware of where you are experiencing a Mattering Gap—the distance between what you are giving and how significant you feel while giving it.
I suggest asking yourself six questions through the lens of the M.A.T.T.E.R. Framework:
- Meaning: Can I see how what I do contributes to something that matters?
- Autonomy: Where am I acting more like an executor than an author of my own life?
- Trust: Where am I withholding a truth, from someone else or from myself?
- Time: Does my calendar reflect what I say matters most?
- Energy: What consistently gives me energy, and what continually extracts it?
- Reciprocity: What am I giving, and what am I receiving in return?
Then don't try to fix all six. Identify the one that is most out of alignment and create one piece of evidence that you can change it.
If time is the problem, reclaim 10 minutes for something that matters. If autonomy is the problem, make one decision you have been unnecessarily waiting for someone else to make. If trust is the problem, have the conversation you've been avoiding. If energy is the problem, eliminate one unnecessary energy drain.
The goal isn't simply insight. The goal is evidence. We change our lives when our intentions repeatedly become evidence that our voice matters, our time matters, our energy matters, and our contribution matters.
Question: How best during a performance review can a business leader make an employee feel like he/she matters?
Miles: The biggest mistake a leader can make is treating the performance review as a transaction: here is what you accomplished, here is where you fell short, and here is what I need from you next year.
Instead, use the review as an opportunity to help the person see that they are known, valued, and that their contributions matter.
I would ask five questions:
- What are you most proud of accomplishing this year?
- What part of your work gave you the most energy?
- Where did you feel you made the greatest difference?
- What is getting in the way of you doing your best work?
And perhaps most importantly:
- What can I do as your leader to help you grow and contribute at a higher level?
Then listen without immediately turning the answers into action items.
Mattering is not the same as praise. Someone can receive an excellent performance review and still feel invisible. People feel that they matter when they know their contribution is seen, their perspective is valued, their development matters, and their presence is more than the output they produce.
One of the simplest things a leader can do is be specific. Don't simply say, 'You're a great contributor.' Tell someone exactly what changed because of their contribution and who benefited from it.
Meaning turns a task into a contribution, and specificity makes that contribution visible.
And leaders should remember
that the performance review itself is only one moment. If someone has to wait
six months to find out whether their work matters, the organization is missing
hundreds of opportunities to provide that evidence along the way.
Question: As someone
contemplates their death, how should they relate mattering to leaving a legacy?
Or don't those correlate?
Miles: I think they correlate, but they are not the same thing.
Legacy asks what remains after we're gone. Mattering asks what becomes different because we're here.
And there's an important distinction between the two.
Research by Tom Gilovich and Shai Davidai found that when people reflect on their greatest regrets, they are much more likely to regret not becoming the person they hoped to become than failing to meet the obligations they felt they should have met. In other words, we can spend a lifetime becoming who we think we're supposed to be while moving further away from who we actually hoped to become.
That connects deeply with what I call the Slow Fade.
Most people disappear from their own lives incrementally. We take the promotion. We accept another responsibility. We become indispensable. We keep saying yes because other people need us. We become very good at being the person everyone else needs.
And then one day we look up and realize, 'I've become very successful at being needed. But have I become the person I wanted to be?'
That's where I think mattering changes the conversation about legacy.
If we're only thinking about legacy, we can become preoccupied with what we'll leave behind: the company we built, the books we wrote, the awards we received, the money we accumulated, or whether people remember our name.
But mattering asks a more immediate and human question: 'Who is different because I am here?'
Maybe it's a child who developed confidence because you believed in them. Maybe it's an employee who found their voice because you gave them an opportunity. Maybe it's a friend who didn't feel alone because you stayed. Maybe it's a community that became stronger because you contributed.
Those things may never appear in an obituary. But they are forms of legacy.
So, when I think about my own mortality, I don't want my primary question to be, 'What will people remember about me?'
I want it to be: 'Did I use the life I was given to make a meaningful difference while I was here—and did I become the person I was capable of becoming?'
Because ultimately, legacy is what remains. Mattering is what happens while we're here.
And perhaps the greatest legacy is not that people remember your name, but that they carry something forward because your life touched theirs.
In schools, it means a child’s worth isn’t tied to a score or a grade. It’s recognized from the beginning. Students aren’t just taught how to succeed—they’re taught that who they are already counts.
Across all of these spaces, the shift is the same: People stop trying to prove they deserve a place and start living as if they already have one.
___
Comments
Post a Comment