Lead By Example
You've undoubtedly heard this many times before. But, it's surprising how often some managers don't lead by setting a good example.
Try the following and my bet is most of your employees will learn to mimic your behavior:
- Work hard and lend a hand when deadlines are tight.
- Show respect for everyone on your team.
- Follow through when you say you will.
- Allow learning to happen when mistakes are made.
- Allow prudent autonomy.
- Give credit where credit is due.
- Communicate clearly.
- Listen effectively.
- Teach something new. Nearly everyone wants to learn how to do something better or faster.
- Show and demonstrate trust.
- Praise when compliments are earned.
- Say "Thank You" and sincerely mean it.
- Respond to questions quickly and fully.
- Be decisive.
These behaviors all sound pretty simple. They really can be. Select the ones you may not be doing and give them a try.