Six Questions To Ask Each Of Your Team Members
In the new book, Your First Leadership Job, authors Tacy M. Byham and Richard S. Wellins recommend you schedule a one-on-one meeting with each of your team members to help bring out the best in your team.
During those meetings, you can get closer to each person and understand their skills, abilities, and motivations. And, to do that, the authors recommend you ask the following six open-ended questions to initiate a conversation:
- What do you enjoy doing most as part of your work? Why?
- What do you miss most about the jobs you've had in the past? Why?
- What things about your current job do you enjoy the least? Why?
- How do you cope with or relieve stress?
- To help you do you job, what could I change about: Your work environment? The content of your work? How you get your work done?
- What form of recognition do you prefer or not prefer?