Former Verizon Wireless CEO, Denny F. Strigl offers these tips for how to be a good coach to an employee. He explains that good coaches help performers by:
- Keeping them focused.
- Giving them objective, helpful feedback.
- Acting as a sounding board for new approaches.
- Identifying blind spots that may be holding the performer back.
- Reinforcing key values, principles, and behaviors that improve performance.
- Recognizing positive behavior and performance.
- Providing encouragement after setbacks and failures
- Setting "stretch" goals.
- Acting as an accountability partner.
- View coaching as babysitting.
- See coaching as only correcting performance.
- Don't spend enough time with their employees.
- Are reluctant to criticize.
- Have social relationships with their employees.
- Have a "sink-or-swim" philosophy.
- Believe coaching is not helpful or meaningful.
Every conversation you have with an employee has the potential to be a coaching conversation!